Friday, February 15, 2008

Blogger Blottings

• Spring training officially starts on Sunday, when pitchers and catchers report for duty. One Twin won't be there: Francisco Liriano, who's having visa problems and may be delayed by a week or more.

That's too bad. I'm sure he'll make a big splash when he arrives.

• In my roster predictions, I have barely mentioned any of the spring training invitees - including Zach Day and Randy Keisler - both signed to minor league contracts and invited to ST. I don't expect these two - or any of the others on the invitee list - to make the final cut.

• I believe with all of the outfielders the Twins have: Michael Cuddyer, Delmon Young, Jason Kubel, Jason Pridie and Carlos Gomez, that the Twins will NOT keep Craig Monroe. The ONLY scenario where I see the Twins keeping Monroe (other than by more trades or by injury) is if he really hits well this spring, and the Twins leave Gomez or Pridie at AAA. Gomez may need more seasoning at AAA; but Pridie - I believe - is ready for the big show. He did really well last year in AAA. Gomez may be the CF of the future, but Pridie is the CF for the now. Keeping both - and letting them platoon - makes more sense than keeping Monroe and his $3.82 million salary. if they release him, they pay him only around $600,000, depending on the timing of the decision.

• Who will lead off the starting rotation? My choice would be Kevin Slowey. But I suspect it will be Scott Baker.

No comments: